lxd in Debian
Paul Dino Jones
2016-08-09 01:27:44 UTC
So, i see lxc 2.0 has made it's way into Stretch and Jessie backports,
but I don't see any activity on lxd. Is this going to happen in time for
the Stretch freeze?

Best, Paul
Pierre Couderc
2016-08-23 06:58:35 UTC
Mmm, I think that as lxd is sponsorized by Ubuntu, nobdy works on it
available on debian, abd you shold not get an answer...

And I have success to install unpriviliged lxc containers on Jessie, but
it was not easy...

PC
Fajar A. Nugraha
2016-08-23 07:20:16 UTC
From my experience creating lxd rpm for centos6, the hardest part is
to provide build requirements.

Lxd uses golang, which probably makes it easier for the devs to
maintain, but also requires a bunch of go dependencies. Like
http://packages.ubuntu.com/golang-github-dustinkirkland-golang-petname-dev

AFAIK the "normal" way is to get the build dependencies included in
debian as well, but it'll be a lot work work (if at all possible).
An "easier" way would be to include the dependencies as part of lxd
build process. Not sure how much work it would take.

In the mean time, if you need lxd in debian, my best advice is to try
porting ubuntu's packages (including the build requirement), and build
your own, adjusting as necessary.
--
Fajar
Best, Paul
Janjaap Bos
2016-08-23 08:06:19 UTC
Perhaps for other distros you can take advantage of the LXD snap package
provided by Stephane.

First install snapd:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/run-ubuntu-snap-packages-other-distros/

Then install LXD:

sudo snappy install lxd.stgraber

P.S. I have not tried this, but I expect it will work.
From my experience creating lxd rpm for centos6, the hardest part is
Post by Pierre Couderc
And I have success to install unpriviliged lxc containers on Jessie, but
it was not easy...
Post by Pierre Couderc
PC
Post by Paul Dino Jones
So, i see lxc 2.0 has made it's way into Stretch and Jessie backports,
but I don't see any activity on lxd. Is this going to happen in time for
the Stretch freeze?
Post by Pierre Couderc
Post by Paul Dino Jones
Best, Paul
Micky Del Favero
2016-08-23 08:28:30 UTC
Post by Paul Dino Jones
So, i see lxc 2.0 has made it's way into Stretch and Jessie backports,
but I don't see any activity on lxd. Is this going to happen in time
for the Stretch freeze?
I've packaged LXD for Jessie (Devuan's, but the same applied to Debian),
here I've explain what I've do:
http://micky.it/log/compiling-lxd-on-devuan.html
https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/2016-July/012045.html
if nobody will package LXD you can do it yourself follow my way.

Ciao, Micky
The sysadmin has all the answers, expecially "No"
Fajar A. Nugraha
2016-08-23 09:29:22 UTC
Post by Micky Del Favero
Post by Paul Dino Jones
So, i see lxc 2.0 has made it's way into Stretch and Jessie backports,
but I don't see any activity on lxd. Is this going to happen in time
for the Stretch freeze?
I've packaged LXD for Jessie (Devuan's, but the same applied to Debian),
http://micky.it/log/compiling-lxd-on-devuan.html
https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/2016-July/012045.html
if nobody will package LXD you can do it yourself follow my way.
I'm confused.

How did you managed to get it build, when the source from
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/lxd has

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9),
dh-apparmor,
dh-golang,
dh-systemd,
golang-go,
golang-go.crypto-dev,
golang-context-dev,
golang-github-coreos-go-systemd-dev,
golang-github-gorilla-mux-dev,
golang-github-gosexy-gettext-dev,
golang-github-mattn-go-colorable-dev,
golang-github-mattn-go-sqlite3-dev,
golang-github-olekukonko-tablewriter-dev,
golang-github-pborman-uuid-dev,
golang-gocapability-dev,
golang-gopkg-flosch-pongo2.v3-dev,
golang-gopkg-inconshreveable-log15.v2-dev,
golang-gopkg-lxc-go-lxc.v2-dev,
golang-gopkg-tomb.v2-dev,
golang-goprotobuf-dev,
golang-petname-dev,
golang-yaml.v2-dev,
golang-websocket-dev,
help2man,
lxc-dev (>= 1.1.0~),
pkg-config,
protobuf-compiler

and https://packages.debian.org/petname returns zero result?
altlinux's lxd rpm (which I use as starting point for my c6 build) has
similar requirement, and when I tried removing golang-petname-dev
requirement when building for centos, the build failed, so I had to
create a new rpm package for that.
Fajar
Micky Del Favero
2016-08-23 09:59:34 UTC
Fajar A. Nugraha
2016-08-23 11:06:42 UTC
Post by Micky Del Favero
Post by Fajar A. Nugraha
I'm confused.
How did you managed to get it build, when the source from
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-updates/lxd has
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9),
Post by Fajar A. Nugraha
golang-petname-dev,
Post by Fajar A. Nugraha
and https://packages.debian.org/petname returns zero result?
I didn't use xenial sources, I've taken them from
https://linuxcontainers.org/downloads/lxd/lxd-2.0.3.tar.gz (but I think
there's no difference), in my debian/control (that I've took from an old
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9),
dh-golang,
dh-systemd,
golang-go [i386 amd64 armhf],
help2man,
pkg-config,
protobuf-compiler
GOPATH=$(shell pwd)/lxd-$(VERSION)/dist go get -t -v -d ./...
so all golang dependencies needed to compile LXD will be downloaded and
installed in dist directory, there's no need to install them system
wide, so there's no need to put them in package dependencies.
Ah, thanks. That's what was missing.

Manually adding "go get -t -v -d ./..." in my spec file allows go to
download dependency. But now my build process takes forever as "git
clone https://gopkg.in/yaml.v2" takes forever (while github-based
packages, like github.com/gorilla/websocket, finish quickly). That's
probably one of the reasons why ubuntu and altlinux made their
control/spec require preinstalled go dependency: to greatly speed up
the build process.

Good to know that building lxd package for debian is a lot easier than
I originally thought.
Fajar
P. Lowe

Tycho Andersen
2016-08-23 20:07:50 UTC
Post by P. Lowe
Why on earth does lxd depend on "golang-github-coreos-go-systemd-dev"?
I'm also wondering, why should lxd even depend on systemd?
LXD has the capability to be socket activated, this library implements
a go API for handling the case when it is socket activated.

Tycho
Post by P. Lowe
-P. Lowe
P. Lowe

Tycho Andersen
2016-08-23 20:45:57 UTC
Post by P. Lowe
For socket activation of the LXD daemon or socket activation of a container?
For socket activation of the LXD daemon,

https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/lxd/daemon.go#L866

Tycho
Post by P. Lowe
-P. Lowe
Post by Tycho Andersen
Post by P. Lowe
Why on earth does lxd depend on "golang-github-coreos-go-systemd-dev"?
I'm also wondering, why should lxd even depend on systemd?
LXD has the capability to be socket activated, this library implements
a go API for handling the case when it is socket activated.
Tycho
Post by P. Lowe
-P. Lowe
Pierre Couderc
P. Lowe
2016-08-23 22:07:51 UTC
Why isn't socket activation transparent to the operation of LXD?

Why should LXD care if it was activated by a socket connection or via
/etc/init.d/lxd? Shouldn't the operation in both cases be the same
from LXD's (daemon's) point of view?

In one case it's launched like a program, in the other it's launched,
except a socket connection is then given to it once it starts up, no?

-P. Lowe
Post by Tycho Andersen
Post by P. Lowe
For socket activation of the LXD daemon or socket activation of a container?
For socket activation of the LXD daemon,
https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/lxd/daemon.go#L866
Tycho
Post by P. Lowe
-P. Lowe
Post by Tycho Andersen
Post by P. Lowe
Why on earth does lxd depend on "golang-github-coreos-go-systemd-dev"?
I'm also wondering, why should lxd even depend on systemd?
LXD has the capability to be socket activated, this library implements
a go API for handling the case when it is socket activated.
Tycho
Post by P. Lowe
-P. Lowe
Fajar A. Nugraha
2016-08-24 05:40:20 UTC
Post by P. Lowe
Why isn't socket activation transparent to the operation of LXD?
Why should LXD care if it was activated by a socket connection or via
/etc/init.d/lxd? Shouldn't the operation in both cases be the same from
LXD's (daemon's) point of view?
In one case it's launched like a program, in the other it's launched, except
a socket connection is then given to it once it starts up, no?
Application-side changes are required to support systemd socket
activation, e.g
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/socket-activation.html
--
Fajar