[lxc-users] LXD Official PPA deprecation
Jeff Kowalczyk
2017-12-27 16:57:03 UTC
When updating LXD 2.20 on Ubuntu 16.04, I noticed the PPA deprecation
notice, included below [1].

I'd like to respectfully ask that the PPA not be deprecated and continue to
see new package versions. Or at the very least, see deprecation deferred
until after the next LTS 18.04.1 is widely deployed.

PPAs are well supported with our existing tooling (saltstack, etc) and
allow granular access to only the desired package (LXD) and its
dependencies. Snap packages are not an option for my company at this time.

If I understand correctly, enabling the backports repository on LTS
production systems to obtain new LXD versions may require extensive version
pinning to keep existing installed packages at their current versions.

Given that LXD is a major project of Canonical, continuing to provide an
existing official PPA is helpful to users, consistent with other projects
publishing debian packages, and worth the effort to continue maintenance
going forward.

Thanks for considering the request.
Jeff

[1] Deprecation notice:

LXD PPAs to go away by end of year

We are deprecating all LXD PPAs at the end of 2017.

Existing users should move to the LXD snap as the preferred way to get the
latest LXD feature release on older Ubuntu releases.

You can do so by first installing snapd on your system if it's not there
already. Once snapd is installed, installing the LXD snap and migrating your
existing data can be done with:

snap install lxd && lxd.migrate

Alternatively, we do still provide a .deb version of LXD for older Ubuntu
releases through the official -backports archive pocket.

Those packages are identical to what's available through our PPAs but
benefit
from additional testing on our part. To switch over to those backport
packages,
use:

apt install -t <release>-backports lxd lxd-client

Replacing "<release>" with the codename of your Ubuntu release (e.g.
xenial).
Thomas Ward
2017-12-27 17:04:05 UTC
Uhm... I think you're confused here Jeff.  Allow me to explain.

In Standard Ubuntu releases, Backports is *actually enabled* but set at
a lower pin priority by default.  That is, you can have backports
enabled and then only *selectively* install from Backports.  This is a
standard 16.04 system and its corresponding Backports priority data from
`apt-cache priority`:

 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=i386
 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=amd64
 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main i386 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=i386
 100 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=amd64

This indicates it's a lower priority than the updates or other
repositories, such as the standard xenial-updates, which is shown here
below:

 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/multiverse i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/multiverse amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=multiverse,b=amd64
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=universe,b=amd64
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/restricted i386
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/restricted amd64
Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=restricted,b=amd64
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main i386 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=i386
 500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-updates,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=amd64

The priority of 100 is lower than the priority of 500; ultimately, the
version pinning *by default* sticks backports as an optional,
you-must-specify-to-install-from-backports option.  Therefore, you do
***not*** need extensive version pinning in Ubuntu releases to use
backports alongside standard system packages, as the system by-default
deprioritizes Backports unless you've installed something specifically
from Backports.  (PPAs actually operate completely differently, and get
the 500 priority which can actually result in clobbering of data between
repos)

Ultimately, this is ***not*** going to need extensive version pinning.
Trust me on this, as someone who's done this myself on four separate
environments and actively uses LXD to run multiple production-level
services actively via the four boxes - backports being enabled don't
impact things like you think it does.

(I had this same misconception in the 14.04 era, but after talking with
the release team and other server team members, this is no longer the case).

Thomas
Ubuntu Server Team Member
LP: ~teward
Jeff Kowalczyk
2017-12-27 17:41:24 UTC
Thank you, Thomas. Your explanation clears things up entirely, and I
learned several things about apt in the process. Concerns about PPA
deprecation withdrawn.

Jeff
Thomas Ward
2017-12-27 17:50:46 UTC
Glad to hear it cleared things up!

Just to clarify my post, though, for others, the 'standard' system I was
referring to was my 16.04 Desktop installation.

Just to get the 'bog standard default' policy sets, I spun up a pristine
16.04 image in LXD, and pulled the `apt-cache policy` from it:

***@test-xenial-image:~# apt-cache policy | grep backports
 100 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/universe amd64
 100 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports/main amd64 Packages
     release
v=16.04,o=Ubuntu,a=xenial-backports,n=xenial,l=Ubuntu,c=main,b=amd64

As is seen here, it too has backports enabled, and has the lower pin
priority.  This should be *standard* therefore, though I don't have a
pure Ubuntu server here just now to reconfirm.  However, default pins
seem to place it at lower priority, and therefore a purely optional
'must be specified as installation source' option during installtion
steps.  (It's how I moved off the PPAs and onto the Backports without
issue for my LXD 'hypervisor' servers, and my own laptop for LXD as well).

Thomas
laurent ducos
2017-12-28 08:32:03 UTC
Hello
I have two questions.

* The exact date of end of ppa is not specified. What is the expected day?
* Actualy my version of lxd is 2.16..I will update it on January 5th. If
the support of the ppa is finished I would only have to delete the entries
in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-lxc-ubuntu-lxd-stable-xenial.list" then
"apt update" and "apt install -t xenial-backports lxd lxd-client" Nothing
else to do ?
Jeffrey Lane
2017-12-28 14:28:38 UTC
Post by laurent ducos
Hello
I have two questions.
* The exact date of end of ppa is not specified. What is the expected day?
* Actualy my version of lxd is 2.16..I will update it on January 5th. If
the support of the ppa is finished I would only have to delete the entries
in "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu-lxc-ubuntu-lxd-stable-xenial.list" then
"apt update" and "apt install -t xenial-backports lxd lxd-client" Nothing
else to do ?
Or you could do as they suggest in the deprecation and begin using the
snapped version of LXD going forward. That will get you the latest LXD with
each snap update and you won’t have to ever worry about apt pinning or
which PPA to use as the snaps are self-contained.
Post by laurent ducos
Post by Thomas Ward
[...]
Sent from my iPhone so please forgive any typos, top posting and such.